The IRB reviews all human research proposals to insure protection of both the project participants (e.g., confidentiality, informed consent, measures of care) and Clarke University (e.g., liability). To this end, each proposed project is reviewed to consider such things as the possible physical, mental, personal, and emotional risks to participant; invasiveness; clarity of informed consent; and research design. To read more on IRBs in general, visit the Department of Health and Human Services Office for Human Research Protections and the National Institute of Health. The IRB Protocol Review Standards from the NIHoffers some insight into the kinds of questions the IRB is considering when reviewing applications.
Applications for the 2012-2013 academic year will be accepted on a rolling basis. Submit all materials as detailed below to the Chair, IRB, mailbox 1521. Exempt and expedited applications will be reviewed by a committee member. You should receive a response within four weeks of submission. Be sure to include in your timeline the possibility that you may need to make corrections and have your application reprocessed before receiving final approval. The committee meets during regular school sessions and not during winter or summer break.
1. In order to apply for IRB approval for your research project, you must first determine whether you are conducting human research. If you are, then continue with the application process.
2. Decide if your project meets exempt requirements, expedited requirements, or requires a full review.
3. Complete all forms required for your application. You must include the
- IRB application form
- proposal abstract,
- research tool: questionnaire, survey, or interview questions (if used),
- informed consent forms (if required),
- signed statement from faculty advisor (when PI is a student)
- expedited or exempt cover forms if applicable (If there is no cover, then IRB will assume you are seeking a full review), and a
- permission statement from research location if research is to be conducted outside of Clarke University.
- If you need a full review, include six copies of your application.
- Submit all forms through the post. On campus applicants, address your complete application to
Off campus applicants, address your complete application to:
1550 Clarke Drive
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
Please note that applications will be returned if they are incomplete.
Frequently Asked Questions
Downloadable Application (DOC)
Information about Exemption and Expedition
Full IRB Application
Request for Continuation and/or Modification of an IRB Approved Project
Adverse Event Report Form
NIH IRB Certification (Available in Spanish at this site)
Activities Requiring Clarke University IRB Approval
Course Level IRB - For Classroom Activities