The IRB reviews all human research proposals to insure protection of both the project participants (e.g., confidentiality, informed consent, measures of care) and Clarke University (e.g., liability). To this end, each proposed project is reviewed to consider such things as the possible physical, mental, personal, and emotional risks to participant; invasiveness; clarity of informed consent; and research design. To read more on IRBs in general, visit the Department of Health and Human Services Office for Human Research Protections and the National Institute of Health. The IRB Protocol Review Standards from the NIH offers some insight into the kinds of questions the IRB is considering when reviewing applications.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Submit all materials as detailed below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Exempt and expedited applications will be reviewed by a committee member. You should receive a response within four weeks of submission. Be sure to include in your timeline the possibility that you may need to make corrections and have your application reprocessed before receiving final approval. The committee meets during regular school sessions and not during winter or summer break.
1. In order to apply for IRB approval for your research project, you must first determine whether you are conducting human research. If you are, then continue with the application process.
2. Decide if your project meets exempt requirements, expedited requirements, or requires a full review.
3. Complete all forms required for your application. You must include the
- IRB application form
- Proposal abstract
- Research tool: questionnaire, survey, or interview questions (if used)
- Informed consent forms (if required)
- Signed statement from faculty advisor (when PI is a student)
- Exempt, expedited or full cover forms if applicable
- Permission statement from research location if research is to be conducted outside of Clarke University
- Documentation of CITI Certification
4. Submit completed application and all other necessary documents in a single PDF to email@example.com. The file should be labeled as follows: Lastname_Firstinitial_Keyword_IRB_version#.pdf (eg: Mai_J_Balance_IRB_v2.pdf).
Incomplete applications will be returned to the Principal Investigator (PI) without review (i.e., an application is incomplete if the questions are unanswered, information is left blank or pertinent forms are missing).
Application deadlines for the 2019-2020 academic year are as follows:
Fall: Friday, November 8, 2019 (full reviews); Monday, November 18, 2019 (exempt and expedited reviews)
Spring: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 (full reviews); Monday, April 20, 2020 (exempt and expedited reviews)