Web Style and Standards
Web Content Guidelines
See the full web style guidelines for standards and helpful info about creating web content.
STOP! Before you hit “Publish,” make sure your page meets the following criteria.
Does this content…
- Fulfill an important user goal?
- Answer a question your audience might actually have?
- Include a link to more details, if there are any?
- Organize information in a way an outsider might expect?
Voice and Tone
- Communicate one of the university’s key messages?
- Convey the brand appropriately?
- Speak in active voice?
- Use a personal, human-to-human tone?
- Use “we” and “you” when speaking about the university or department?
- Explain acronyms?
Optimize for Web Reading
- Use headings, subheads, and bullet lists for easy scanning?
- Link to related content on other pages?
- Use descriptive keywords in links, rather than “click here” or “learn more”?
- Include a call to action?
- Include meta tags, ALT tags, and a descriptive URL?