Athletic trainers play a significant role in the management, prevention, recognition and rehabilitation of injured athletes. Under the supervision of a licensed physician, athletic trainers administer immediate emergency and follow-up care. They develop athletic injury prevention and treatment programs using their knowledge of biomechanics, anatomy and pathology. They also provide a vital communication link between the injured athlete, the physician, the coach and the athlete’s family to determine the best time for return to practice and competition.
Can you prove you have the most important skills to hear “you’re hired?”
Communication skills involve active listening and presentation as well as excellent writing capabilities. Can you explain technical concepts to partners, customers and coworkers in a way they will understand?
Computer and Technical Literacy
Today, most jobs require basic competency in computer software.
The ability to work in teams, relate to people and manage conflict is extremely important in the workplace. How have you done this in the past? What is your conflict management style?
Are you able to adapt to changes and manage multiple tasks? In today’s professional world, the ability to learn new technologies and adjust to changing surroundings is important.
Hiring managers seek employees that are skilled at assessing situations, are able to seek multiple perspectives and gather more in-depth information.
Project Management Skills
Organization, planning and effectively implementing projects are all important skills to an employer. Many companies are choosing not to hire project managers, and are expecting all employees to possess the skills necessary to carry out projects.
You need the ability to use creativity, reasoning, past experience, and available resources to resolve issues in any field. Solving problems will save your organization time and money.
Strong Work Ethic
Can you take initiative? Are you reliable? Can you do the job right the first time? Managers don’t have the time watch your every move, so this is a skill that is expected from all employees.
Emotional Intelligence is not a skill that will be listed in a job description. However, it is a highly sought after skill that relates to social skills, social awareness and self-management abilities.
Additional Sources of Information
Athletic Trainers are certified by the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification (NATABC). Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in a NATA-approved program, at least two years of experience under the direct supervision of a NATA-certified athletic trainer, and must pass a written and an oral examination. Most states have taken action to license athletic trainers.
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) http://www.nata.org
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) (formerly Joint Review Committee on Athletic Training (JRC-AT) http://www.caate.net
- The Mid-America Athletic Trainers’ Association (MAATA), which includes Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, and South Dakota, http://www.maata.org/
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) http://www.nsca-lift.org/
- The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) http://www.sportsmed.org/
- The International Federation of Sports Medicine (FIMS) http://www.fims.org/
- Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer http://www.bocatc.org/
- Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers’ Society http://pbats.org/
- Professional Football Athletic Trainers’ Society http://www.pfats.com/
- The National Lightning Safety Institute http://www.lightningsafety.com/
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute http://www.gssiweb.com/
- Dr. Pribut’s Running Injuries Page http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sportframe.html
- Southern California Orthopedic Institute http://www.scoi.com/
- ESPN’s SORE WINNER Training Room http://espn.go.com/TrainingRoom/tylenol/index.html
- University of Iowa Virtual Hospital http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/radiology/NormalRadAnatomy/index.html
- University of Washington Diagnostic Radiology Residency Programs’ Anatomy Modules https://rad.washington.edu/education/radiology-residency/
- University of Washington Interactive Atlases, Digital Anatomist Project http://www9.biostr.washington.edu/da.html
- Loyola University Medical Education Network Master Muscle list http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/GrossAnatomy/dissector/mml/index.htm
- Medline Plus Anatomy http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/anatomy.html
- Medline Plus Drugs, Supplements, and Herbal Information http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html
- Medline Plus Health Topics http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/healthtopics.html
- Hardin – MD Sports Injuries & Sports Medicine http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/sportsinjuries.html
- Collegiate Sports Medicine, Educational Page http://www.csmfoundation.org/Educational_Materials.html
- The Physician and Sportsmedicine http://www.physsportsmed.com/
- The American Journal of Sports Medicine http://ajs.sagepub.com/
- Journal of Athletic Training http://www.nata.org/news-publications/publications