Athletic trainers work with the prevention, recognition and rehabilitation of injuries incurred by athletes. Under the supervision of a licensed physician, athletic trainers administer immediate emergency care. Athletic trainers develop athletic injury prevention, treatment and rehabilitation programs using their knowledge of athletic injuries.
The athletic training program at Clarke includes a strong liberal arts component, which helps students develop an understanding of and appreciation for the structural, functional, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual dimensions of humans. As a result, graduates of Clarke’s athletic training program grasp the importance of considering the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of injured athletes when developing individual treatment and rehabilitation programs.
Along with the necessary professional skills, Clarke's athletic training program emphasizes the development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills. The athletic training program faculty believe that this is the strongest preparation for a career as a competent practitioner in today's evolving healthcare environment. In order to practice athletic training, students must pass the BOC certification examination. As described on the The Board of Certification, Inc. (BOC) website (bocatc.org), the BOC "was incorporated in 1989 to provide a certification program for entry-level Athletic Trainers (ATs). The BOC establishes and regularly reviews both the standards for the practice of athletic training and the continuing education requirements for BOC Certified ATs. The BOC has the only accredited certification program for ATs in the US." The most recent Clarke athletic training student BOC pass rates are:
- 2009 graduating class 1st time pass rate of 57.14% (4/7) and overall pass rate of 100% (7/7)
- 2010 graduating class 1st time pass rate of 71.42% (5/7) and overall pass rate of 100% (7/7)
- 2011 graduating class 1st time pass rate of 90.90% (10/11) and overall pass rate of 100% (11/11)
- 2012 graduating class 1st time pass rate of 100% (10/10)
- 2013 graduating class 1st time pass rate of 76.92% (10/13) and overall pass rate of 92.31% (12/13)
- 2014 graduating class 1st time pass rate of 85.71% (6/7) and overall pass rate of 100% (7/7)
Clarke University is accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education Programs (CAATE), and does not endorse the internship route to certification.