Tara Velez, MSW
Director of Field Education
Master of Social Work from Catholic University of America in Washington, DC (2006)
Bachelor of Arts Social Work from Loras College in Dubuque, IA (2004)
I strive to create a classroom environment built upon respect and dignity. My courses are designed to stimulate engagement, collaboration, critical thinking, problem-solving, and personal exploration while providing a foundational knowledge of social work principles.
Sometimes you have to take the leap, and build your wings on the way down. Kobi Yamada
Tara has had a variety of national and international experiences in the social work profession. Most recent positions included the Corporate and Foundations Grants Officer at Clarke University, the Executive Director of St. Mark Youth Enrichment, the Director of the Multicultural Family Center, and the Director of Programs at the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque. Velez served as a volunteer for seven months in Gros Morne, Haiti and served two terms with AmeriCorps in 2000 and 2005.
- Field Seminar (BSW and MSW)
- Introduction to Social Welfare and Social Work
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
Certifications and Memberships
- Member of the development committee at the Multicultural Family Center
- Member of the Changing Minds planning committee
- Member of the Sexual Violence Prevention committee at Clarke University