Welcome to Clarke University's student-produced literary magazine, funded by an endowment in honor of Professor Katherine Fischer, creator of the Clarke University Writing Program. The Tenth Muse is a venue for creativity in prose, poetry, and art and is seeking your work for Volume III to be released Spring 2013.
- Fiction (micro, flash, short story), creative nonfiction (personal essay, nature writing, literary journalism, memoir), poetry (haiku, sonnet, free verse, prose poem), dramatic script, academic writing (literary criticism or analysis)
- Creative and academic writing in Spanish
- Artwork and photography
Submission guidelines for Volume III
(Deadline for all Volume III submissions is December 1)
Meet the Staff of Volume III!
To learn more about a staff member, click on the pictures below.
Current and Past Volumes
Prose Submission Guidelines (Deadline is December 1)
Length and format:
- Prose: 100 to 4,000 words, double-spaced, standard font type and size, standard margins
- There is no limit to the number of prose pieces that may be submitted
- Poetry: up to five poems in one document, no length or formatting guidelines, and no limit to the number of poems that may be submitted
All prose submissions must include the following:
- Your name, phone number, and email address on first page of manuscript
- A running header with page number and your last name
- A title for the work
- A brief author bio in the body of your email—tell us about yourself (50-100 words)
Please submit your work electronically. Send as an attachment to TenthMuseMag@gmail.com.
- MS-Word (.doc, .docx), .pdf, and .rtf files
- Subject of email: "Your Last Name, Title, Genre" (For example: Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Fiction)
Art/Photography Submission Guidelines (Deadline is December 1)
We are looking for dynamic artwork and photography for the next volume of the Tenth Muse. There is no limit to the number of works you may submit and we accept any and all types of art for consideration.
In conjunction with our call for submissions for publication, we are running a cover art contest—your work could be the face of the magazine! All entries for the contest will also be considered for publication inside the magazine. This contest is open to all interested.
- Send artwork to TenthMuseMag@gmail.com.
- We can accept files in ".jpg", ".tif", and ".pdf" formats only. Please send smaller files for entry. Our inbox isn't very big.
- Include your Name and "Art Submission" or "Cover Art Contest" (whichever is applicable to your work) in the subject line of the email. Please include a title and medium for your work for the staff's cataloguing purposes.
- Include a brief (50-100 word) bio in the body of the email.
- You may submit more than one work.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted so long as you tell us immediately upon acceptance elsewhere. We are a busy but dedicated staff so please allow for some time for us to respond.
Join the Tenth Muse on Facebook and Twitter for news, updates, and events.
To learn more about the Clarke University Language and Literature Department, click here.
If you'd like more information about the Tenth Muse or are wondering how you can get involved, please contact faculty advisor Anna Kelley at email@example.com.
Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the faculty, staff or administration of the university. No part of this publication may be reproduced without the expressed written consent of the Language and Literature department. Questions or comments should be addressed to Anna Kelley, Language and Literature Department, MS 1569, Clarke University, Dubuque, IA 52001.