In accordance with Clarke Universities’s mission, the music department is committed to creating an environment that facilitates musical growth of students and the community by providing instruction and experiences that promote the appreciation and performance of music, while encouraging global awareness, social responsibility and spiritual values.
- The music department provides a solid curriculum and background for those seeking a career in music professions, emphasizing personal and intellectual growth of students through training in practical, theoretical and aesthetic aspects of music.
- It provides a rich musical environment for students and the community that will enable them to live more integrated lives and better appreciate today’s global society.
- It serves as a link between the university and the community (regional, national and international) to promote musical growth and encourage professional relationships and social responsibility.
- It supports the implementation of the universities’s general education core that helps students understand the physical world and the diverse cultural and social systems of the past and present, and perceive the interconnectedness of knowledge.
The music student will demonstrate:
- A working knowledge of music theory, ear-training skills and keyboard skills concepts (Knowledge/Skills)
- A working knowledge of music history (Knowledge)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in conducting (Skills/Knowledge)
- Knowledge of and proficiency on the use music technology (Skills/Knowledge)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in applied music (Skills/Knowledge)
The music education student will also demonstrate knowledge of and proficiency in the methodology of music education (Skills/Knowledge/Values)